Green Tips for the Holiday Season
- If you are setting up outdoor Christmas lights try switching to more energy efficient lighting such as LED or solar.
- Have your lights set on a timer.
- Remember wrapping paper DOES NOT GO INTO THE BLUE BIN. When wrapping presents try to use newsprint, or a reusable bag.
- Send out emailed Holiday cards: Consider switching to emailed holiday cards to reduce your landfill waste
- What do you give someone who has everything? Why not donate to a charity on their behalf!
- Natural Decorations: Use pinecones, branches, gingerbread, cinnamon sticks to create that Christmas aroma in your house. Have the kids make tree ornaments.
- Gift tags: create gift tags from old Christmas cards
- Be battery wise: Families can get through a lot of batteries, particularly at Christmas. Batteries contain toxic chemicals, don't biodegrade and are difficult to recycle. Instead use rechargeable ones. Remember batteries and cell phones can be recycled at Eastview Landfill, Civic Services and City Hall (no automotive batteries).
On behalf of the Brandon Environment Committee have a safe and festive holiday season! Follow us on Twitter @BdnEnviroCom, like us o Facebook or visit our website www.brandonenvironment.ca